Thursday, March 24, 2011

day #5

FAVORITE PLACES

I might take this one a little differently that some people might.  I would expect typical responses would be things like "Paris, Hawaii, the Caribbean" etc.  I'm going to approach this sideways, so to speak.  These are in no particular order.

LIBRARIES
I've always loved that terrible smell most people hate about libraries.  My favorite spot in college was the North side of the 2nd floor of the UCO library.  I wrote many of my Lit papers there, and it literally became like my home away from home.  There's something comforting about a plethora of old books... knowing there are more pages out there than I could possibly read in my life time.  I freaking love that.

DETERGENT AISLE
Yes, I mean the aisle in the grocery story where allthe laundry detergent is displayed.  Even if I don't need any detergent, I always take a quick walk down that aisle.  Maybe it's my obsessive clean-freak nature, but I take serious comfort in the smell of clean laundry.  Reminds me of my childhood.  Reminds me of the feeling of "home" and everything that word means.

OPEN MIC POETRY VENUES
I adored going to Galileo's in the Paseo when I lived in OKC.  Wednesday nights were open mic poetry, and I loved listening and participating in poetry slams.  For being somewhat reserved and quiet, I certainly open up when I have the chance to share my poetry with an audience. 

"HOME"
I love that "home" feeling.  In fact, I used to have an unhealthy relationship with the idea of "home" for the longest time.  I wanted to be able to "go home", whatever that meant.  No place ever FELT like home.  And you know what I've learned in the last year or so?  It's not where, but who you're with that really matters.  What I mean is, PEOPLE become "home" when you invest yourself.  When you're willing to open up to someone, and poor yourself into them, they become that home feeling.  My heart can feel at home ANYWHERE, if I'm with people I love. 

PLAYGROUNDS
I promised myself that I'd never get too old for a playground.  In fact, some of the best days I have with my two best friends, is when we play on playgrounds! Here's some pictures from when they came to visit me in Muskogee last summer, and a couple from college too!




No comments:

Post a Comment